Area Manager MML- Phase2
2 Snow Hill, Birmingham B4 6GA
Job Reference: 36723
As an Area Manager MML at HS2 you will you will be responsible for the development of the scheme proposals for an area of the route which forms the basis of a hybrid Bill for the extension of the HS2 route between the west Midlands and both Manchester and Leeds. Initially this may be either the Eastern or Western leg of the scheme and requires you to work with the HS2 Ltd team and stakeholders along this part of the route. You work with the Phase Two Development Director and other senior managers in the Phase Two Directorate to put in place the team. As the team develops you take on leading the work on a part of one of the legs of the route and developing the hybrid Bill submission.
About the role:
- You work with the leadership team to put in place a team to deliver the project made up of HS2 Ltd staff and support from a Development Partner and consultancies to provide the optimum mix of resources.
- Within your area you lead the client development of the scheme proposals across the engineering, environment, rail systems and land referencing disciplines, ensuring that it is fit for purpose for the draft ES and development of a Hybrid Bill for deposit at the end of 2019.
- You work with the professional services contractors (PSCs) developing the work for your area and ensure that quality products that support the Bill preparation are provided.
- Spend a considerable amount of time along the line of route, engaging with stakeholders and working with the PSCs, so that buy in can be established with stakeholders and that you have a comprehensive understanding of the detail of the route.
- Ensure that the scheme developed is sympathetic to the needs of affected parties, communities, and other stakeholders. You are responsible for weighing up options, obtaining decisions via the Hs2 Ltd and DfT etc governance processes and getting buy in from stakeholders on the outcomes.
- Work with the cost and value engineering functions within the Directorate to ensure that the scheme design and mitigations are optimised to provide value for money and to ensure that the scheme is delivered within the available funding envelope.
- Ensure that the proposals are being developed in line with the client’s (DfT’s) requirements.
- Commission third party agreements where necessary. You ensure that appropriate consultation is carried out and that there is a demonstrable audit trail of decision making by the time of the draft ES consultation the deposit of the hybrid Bill.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement, championing BIM development and cost efficiency.
- Take a leading role in recruiting and developing your team and ensuring that they have the necessary skills, experience and behaviours to successfully deliver the project.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all partners and stakeholders, for example, from HS2 Board level, PSCs, in-house technical teams, affected parties, Members and officers from local authorities. This skill is essential to steer the design of the project in the right direction and to explain it and get buy in from all levels of stakeholders. Experience of working at a senior level in complex organisations;
- Excellent track record of programme-managing the development of a large, complex projects in an Electrical engineering or similar field, including major commercial, financial and project controls experience;
- Demonstrable experience of the successful management of large-scale budgets within a commercial environment
- Knowledge of all aspects of the project lifecycle from project inception, through concept, preliminary, or detailed design, to construction and commissioning, followed by handover and operations; and
- A thorough understanding of Track and Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) throughout all phases of a project including associated infrastructure provision or modification.
- Experience directly involved in managing OLE work on a project.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.