Senior Employee Relations Specialist
2 Snow Hill, Birmingham B4 6GA
Job Reference: 36571
Skillset: Human Resources
The Senior Employee Relations Specialist reports into the Head of Employee and Industrial Relations. The role is focussed internally to HS2 and externally across HS2’s supply chain. Involved in the development and implementation of legally compliant HS2 employment policies that exemplify a modern and inclusive approach to employment, the role holder will produce and communicate reports that capture internal and external ER/IR strengths and weaknesses. The role holder will develop and sustain constructive relationships with HS2 internal and supply chain partners in order to support an effective, integrated approach to monitoring and compliance mechanisms and remediation plans.
About the role:
- Sustaining continuous improvement in stakeholder perception and relationships
- Developing relevant ER documentation, ensuring all contractual/legal documents and templates are kept up to date, in line with current legislation
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting ER/IR risks in such a way that is compliant with HS2 policies/contractual requirements
- Producing accurate ‘simple to use’ guidance to HR colleagues and HS2 managers on ER issues
- Supporting and coaching HR colleagues and HS2 managers to understand and comply with ER policies and practices
- Promoting good practice in the management of ER/IR to enable the flourishing of individual differences, diversity and inclusion
- Tracking employee relations plans and deliverables against agreed targets, recommending areas for improvement
- Providing specialist advice, support and instruction to HR and line managers who are leading the resolution of ER issues
- Delivering practical workshops that up skill HR and operational management competence in the application of ER policies and processes to engender consistency and high levels of employee engagement
- Conducting analysis and case reviews to share learnings and trends with HR and managers across the business
- Ability to initiate and sustain collaborative relationships with stakeholders and customers
- Communication skills, to coordinate groups of stakeholders to agree requirements
- Ability to support the development and implementation of ER/Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) policies, procedures and processes
- Data management skills, including analysis of employment relations metrics
- Project management skills, to ensure deliverables are provided within time, cost and quality criteria
- Ability to up skill line managers on the application of established employment policies and procedures
- Ability to provide accurate and timely advice to line managers on a range of complex ER issues in an environment of competing priorities
- Ability to draft accurate and detailed correspondence & reports
- Ability to manage complex cases including but not restricted to discipline, grievance, absence and performance issues
- Knowledge of employee / industrial relations
- Knowledge of current UK employment law
- Experience of working within an HR function in a unionised business
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.