Head Of HR x2
2 Snow Hill, Birmingham B4 6GA
Job Reference: 36568
Location: Birmingham and London
Skillset: Human Resources
Closing Date: 24/07/18
As a Head of HR the key priority of this role is to partner with client directors and senior leaders to understand the directorates business and priorities and identify HR interventions that support the delivery of the People strategy and business plan. The role holder is a member of the client group’s senior leadership team and enables provision of a responsive, professional HR service. They manage the successful delivery of HR solutions by acting as a strategic adviser to support business needs, improve business performance and support continuous development through its people. The Head of HR is the conduit between the business and the HR function, helping client teams to access HR services in the most efficient and effective way.
About the role:
- Work with the business to develop a Directorate people plan, including a strategic workforce plan, to meet the evolving needs of the business.
- Align HR priorities to business priorities and deliver to these.
- Develop succession plans for key job positions and associated development plans, focusing on future business needs to ensure that the client group has the required technical, as well as leadership, skills to deliver to its business goals.
- Influence development of HR strategies for talent management, policy and process development to meet the needs of the business.
- Support the organisation by developing and supporting the implementation of a broad range of HR practices that help to raise organisational performance and productivity. These may include employee engagement, performance management, organisational design and development, leadership development and employees relations.
- Coach business leaders on performance management processes, driving to maintain a high performance culture.
- Develop an understanding of the allocated business area so to enable effective planning and risk mitigation
- Influence and advise client group on the adoption of self-service HR, how they could maximise the potential of ERP, and how to ensure they are meeting their core line management responsibilities.
- Report on and evaluate key people activities, developing and implementing local initiatives to drive improvements. Example activities may include a focus on sickness absence management, attrition, and performance management.
- Analyse HR data, identify trends and share insights with business leaders to support people-related decision-making. Determine people interventions required and work with business leaders to implement.
- Lead, plan and provide expert advice on change management initiatives to increase overall effectiveness and efficiencies of the client group in line with HS2 values. For example, initiatives to reduce costs, and support performance improvement and innovation.
- Support and implement regular HR activities in the directorate including objective setting, performance management, and end of year reviews.
- Manage high priority and/or sensitive people management cases where not appropriate to be managed within the HR Shared Services team.
- Manage pay review process for client group ensuring application of HS2 Framework Agreement. Provide support on reward and benefits with a focus on attraction and retention.
- Coaching Skills – to enable people management in line with HS2 values
- Influencing and negotiation skills including – challenging the organisational structure of the internal client and its purpose.
- Facilitation Skills – including the ability to deliver learning and development interventions at a senior level.
- Communication Skills – including the ability to provide briefs, presentations and reports with complex information to non-technical audiences
- Organisation and Prioritisation skills – including the ability to prioritise multiple work streams
- Stakeholder management skills – including advising senior leaders on budgets, risk management, performance management and talent development
- Knowledge of developing HR policies and practice
- Knowledge of UK employment law & Equality Act 2010
- Knowledge of HR tools for best practice and procedures to support business performance and improve people management capability
- Experience of managing ER matters, including disciplinary & grievances
- Experience of developing and implementing HR policies and practices within a new or developing business
- Experience of working with, challenging & influencing a multi-disciplined management team
- Experience of challenging and influencing at senior manager and director level
- CIPD qualified or equivalent
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.