Economic Analysis Manager
1 Canada Square , Canary Wharf, London E14 5AB
Job Reference: 34243
Location: London Canary Wharf
Skillset: Economic & Statistical Analysis
Closing Date: 20.12.17
As an Economic Analysis Manager at HS2 you will lead on analytical programmes and projects to inform the development of the HS2 Economic Case and providing the evidence to inform decisions on the design and development of policy.
About the role:
- Act as the lead analyst on analysis to support decisions on the design and development of Phase 2b (Crewe to Manchester and Birmingham to Leeds) working closely with Phase 2 policy customers to ensure analysis informs their decisions (noting that specific projects are allocated flexibly across the team).
- Lead on the development; quality assurance; documentation and delivery of HS2’s risk analysis model – ensuring that risk analysis is undertaken to expected time and quality assurance to input into the HS2 Economic Case.
- Deliver analysis to support the HS2 Phase 1 and 2 (including the Strategic Case, Economic Case and Financial Case) by using outputs from transport models, revenue and financial models to present a full and compelling evidence base.
- Provide analysis to support value for money advice, based on sound appraisal techniques, to decision-makers on changes to the scope of the HS2 project, and variations to route/station options.
- Provide quality assurance, with close scrutiny of input data, model parameters, and results to ensure that analysis is of the highest quality and correctly represented within the Business Case, and that results are presented appropriately to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Analytical skills – Experience of transport modelling and/ or transport appraisal as an Economist; Operational Researcher; Statistician (or equivalent analyst) within consultancy, Government or similar analytical environments.
- Project and programme management – ability to work with stakeholders to develop clear work programmes from high level requirements and the ability to prioritise and deliver complex analysis on time and to high quality standards.
- Communication Skills – Ability to discuss complex analytical material with senior stakeholders and distil complex analysis into written documents for internal & external audiences. Produce innovative presentations on analysis that facilitate the reporting of complex analysis to a non-technical audience.
- Risk analysis – Qualifications and experience of operational research and / or mathematics techniques in order to develop and maintain the risk analysis model – in particular statistical (Monte Carlo) techniques and their deployment within Excel models (Essential).
- Knowledge of using Excel based modelling to develop cost models and/ or interrogate transport appraisal models and databases (Essential).
- Knowledge of government appraisal guidance, including HMT Green Book and DFT WebTAG (Desirable).
- Experience in developing and providing analysis and evidence in high profile and fast moving policy making environments, notably in a government department or partner body.
- Experience in developing and managing relationships with senior stakeholders in policy making roles, communicating evidence with confidence, authority and impact to influence decisions
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams of analysts.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.