1 Canada Square , Canary Wharf, London E14 5AB
Job Reference: 34195
Closing Date: December 18th 2017
As a Chief Engineer at HS2 you will Act as the Engineering Technical Authority for HS2, determining the engineering specification of all aspects of HS2 and its ultimate system integration. Assure the HS2 Ltd Board and Sponsor that the overall railway system, when delivered, will achieve the Sponsors Requirements. Lead and direct a multi-disciplinary team and provide overall professional leadership of engineers throughout the company.
About the role:
- Lead and direct development of engineering strategies, standards and specifications across all engineering disciplines which, when delivered, will achieve cost-effectively and in a timely manner the overall railway system which delivers the Sponsors Requirements.
- Lead the evidence-based ultimate system integration of HS2, modelling, disaggregating and traceably embedding the requirements for the performance of the end state railway into specifications across the HS2 Phases and the connecting conventional railway so that infrastructure, rolling stock and operational processes act as one from Sponsors requirements, passenger and communities perspectives.
- Lead and authorise approval of all engineering Project Requirements Specifications to the delivery directorates.
- Represent HS2 in national and international engineering forums and standards setting bodies and in public and specialist forums, media and events. Act as Witness for the engineering aspects of HS2 in parliamentary committees.
- Lead and direct the activities of expert professional teams both directly and across the company and its suppliers, whether as employees or contracted experts. Nurture the continuing professional development of and provide overall engineering guidance and direction to the engineering professionals engaged throughout HS2 and its supply chain.
- Lead and direct the level 2 and 3 assurance of all engineering design, manufacture and construction activity to ensure compliance with standards, requirements and specifications. Ensure the quality of activity of the System Review Panel and chair the HS2 System Integration Panel.
- Ability to demonstrate successful leadership of multidisciplinary engineering design teams on large, complex engineering projects.
- Ability to make finely judged high profile engineering decisions and defend them authoritatively.
- Analytically strong and able to structure advice, instruction and guidance in a way that is credible, meaningful and compelling for a wide range of audiences including HS2 and external audiences from front line to Board and higher.
- Able to work effectively in a matrixed organisation through influence and collaboration, managing internal and external stakeholders.
- A track record of leading and developing teams of engineering professionals to colleagues in different disciplines.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.