1 Canada Square , Canary Wharf, London E14 5AB
Job Reference: 34108
Location: London Canary Wharf with travel along the line of route.
Skillset: Environment / Sustainability
Salary: £Competitive - 12 Month FTC
Closing Date: 20/12/17
As a BREEAM Manager at HS2 you will have responsibility for developing HS2’s BREEAM strategy (including targets and requirements) and for embedding the BREEAM requirements into contracts. The post holder will also be HS2’s primary contact for liaison with the Building Research Establishment.
About the role:
- Lead the development of BREEAM strategy for HS2’s stations, depots, other railway buildings and infrastructure works, including setting targets and other requirements
- Undertake BREEAM pre-assessments as and when required
- Develop and maintain HS2’s BREEAM Technical Standards to ensure these are well suited for all phases of the project
- Act as the sustainability champion (including BREEAM AP) for the entire project to ensure that BREEAM performance targets are on track and are and embedded into the contracts
- Work closely with the Environment and Engineering teams within Phase One and Phase Two to ensure BREEAM requirements are implemented
- Review and assure BREEAM pre-assessment reports and other relevant documentation from the BREEAM assessors or contractors
- Build professional relationships externally e.g. with the Building Research Establishment on development or updating of bespoke criteria for HS2 and BREEAM queries for the project
- Develop networks internally to ensure that Sustainability is embedded across HS2 Ltd
- Provide technical advice and solutions to various internal teams on sustainable design practices
- Communication Skills including report preparation, presentation skills and communicating technical information to non-technical stakeholders
- Self-motivation skills including enthusiasm and tenacity and ability to work with other internal and external teams and work independently when required.
- Influencing and Negotiation skills - including external and internal stakeholders
- Organisation and Planning skills - including working to time, cost and quality requirements
- Critical thinking Skills - including the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss sustainability issues
- IT skills in Microsoft Word and other Microsoft packages
- Knowledge and understanding of BREEAM and CEEQUAL assessments
- Knowledge and understanding of environmental and sustainability principles and their relationship to ensure that sustainable outcomes are achieved
- Understanding of UK’s planning policies and building legislation requirements
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- Experience of managing and implementing BREEAM or CEEQUAL in a large, complex and/ or major development/ infrastructure project
- Experience of stakeholder management including external stakeholder e.g. Building Research Establishment
- Experience in a lead role of BREEAM assessor and BREEAM AP and/or CEEQUAL assessor/verifier
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
Other Information: This is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract