Sanctuary Buildings (5th Floor), 20 Great Smith Street, London SW1P 3BT
Job Reference: 33993
Location: London Westminster
Skillset: Communications & Public Relations
Closing Date: 30.11.17
As a Petition Manager at HS2 you will be responsible for the engagement, negotiation and resolution of petitions in support of the successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2A of HS2 through Parliament.
About the role:
- Develop, manage and lead an agreed petition minimisation and management strategy in order to reduce the number of petitions and/or the issues raised in Select Committee
- Identify key issues, costs and risks arising from petitions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with petitioners across the short, medium and long term
- Lead development and deployment of effective negotiation strategies designed to achieve successful outcomes that meet HS2 Ltd and Government objectives
- Lead effective negotiations on the most high profile, cost or risk petitions and negotiate agreements to a conclusion that will be acceptable for sign off by the HS2 Ltd Board and Government stakeholders
- Ensure that all agreements and settlements reached are acceptable for sign off by the HS2 Ltd Board and Government stakeholders and have been cleared by legal advisers and approved through governance channels
- Lead and direct legal advisers in drafting agreements and terms of settlement as required, including initial memorandum of understanding or heads of terms if multi-staged
- Determine where Department for Transport or other Government intervention is required and identify and influence relevant individuals on behalf of HS2 Ltd
- Ensure that petition responses, assurance letters and Select Committee evidence are prepared and issued so as to achieve the best outcomes.
- Act as one of the public faces and advocates of HS2, including with media and affected MPs
- Lead and co-ordinate a team of staff and other professional and legal advisers to meet Directorate objectives
- Ability to handle and manage high volume of work to pressured deadlines as well as meet demanding targets/objectives
- Ability to manage own work and others effectively to deliver results
- Ability to negotiate effectively in difficult political situations demonstrating credible, resilient and focused engagement with wide range of people
- Strong written skills, e.g. compiling commercial and contractual agreements
- Demonstrable knowledge of property, environmental and political issues around major infrastructure projects, preferably within the rail environment
- Demonstrable knowledge of managing a bill through Parliament
- Demonstrable experience of working on major public sector infrastructure or environmental projects
- Demonstrable experience of internal and external stakeholder management
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.