Business Manager Technical Directorate
2 Snow Hill, Birmingham B4 6GA
Job Reference: 33201
Location: Birmingham - with travel along the line of route
Skillset: Programme, Project Management and PMO [USE DROPDOWN]
Closing Date: 27 Sept 17
As a Business Manager at HS2 you will contribute to the effective management of the Technical Directorate. The Business Manager provides additional capacity to the Technical Director with focus on strategic, operational and stakeholder issues. The job holder is required to contribute to this objective by taking responsibility for certain elements of the internal management of the business, providing a cross-functional overview and delivering defined projects as required by the Technical Director.
About the role:
- Support the Technical Director in developing the overall directorate’s strategy and operating model
- Provide programme and project management to the directorate, with responsibility for ensuring the delivery of projects and work streams to support the delivery of the directorate’s strategy
- Liaise with the directorate’s senior team to ensure corporate programmes are managed as coherent and coordinated programme / portfolio
- Liaising with stakeholders across the organisation as required to integrate the directorate’s and other corporate initiatives with the overarching corporate planning cycle.
- Develop the directorates reporting structure and content as part of HS2’s MI reporting requirements, implement and ensure timely delivery of TD’s contributions across various reporting levels
- Manage the directorate’s annual business planning process across all teams and in close liaison with other directorates in the organisation, make recommendations and support the Technical Director during the organisation’s review and approval process
- Oversee the directorate’s performance against its budget. This includes ensuring that budgets are accurately forecasted and backed up with robust work plans.
- Own the directorate’s workforce plan and ensure consistency with approved budgets and business needs; review and evaluate Job descriptions
- Performance management of business as usual activities, including developing, implementing and managing a suite of directorate performance indicators that aggregate into corporate performance indicators;
- Managing the Director’s office, advising the director on managing the operations of the directorate, communicating the decisions taken by the director across the directorate and HS2 Ltd and ensuring that the directorate’s operations are running in a smooth manner by identifying challenges and either recommending or implementing solutions.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with senior colleagues across the senior team to shape engagement strategies and priorities. Act as single point of contact for corporate functions as required.
- Project/ programme management skills including experience of planning, reporting and risk management for a complex programme Stakeholder Management and influencing skills
- Good understanding of, and ability to apply strategic and innovative approaches to projects.
- Track record of working in an advisory position to a senior executive at a large organisation or complex infrastructure project.
- Demonstrable problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proven track record of distilling information from multiple sources into clear written materials that are considerate of the audience
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.