2 Snow Hill, Birmingham B4 6GA
Job Reference: 32826
Skillset: Environment / Sustainability
Closing Date: 17/11/17
As an Environment Manager at HS2 you will manage and assure the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase Two in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements.
About the role:
- Manage the Area Team’s environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team.
- As part of the Area Team, provide client advice developing environmental design solutions and ensuring that environmental sustainability issues are embedded.
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects, property advisors, environmental and sustainability specialists.
- Support the management of consultants appointed undertaking area environmental assessment
- As part of HS2 Ltd’s assurance process, review and critically appraise all area environmental deliverables produced by consultants ensuring compliance with the organisation’s technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulations.
- Support area technical stakeholder engagement
- Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, manage area environmental supporting the hybrid Bill team and preparation of petition responses and reports to Select Committee.
- Manage the response to general internal and external enquiries (including FOI, EIR and PQ requests).
- Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, provide area environmental input into relevant HS2 Ltd reports and briefing Ministers enabling robust decision making.
- Membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation is desirable.
- Experience of managing environmental assessment (EIA) and design on large or complex infrastructure/ engineering projects.
- Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
- Proven ability managing individuals, consultants and working across multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong IT skills and a good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations
- Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.