Area Petition Advisor
Sanctuary Buildings (5th Floor), 20 Great Smith Street, London SW1P 3BT
Job Reference: 31943
Location: London Westminster
Skillset: Communications & Public Relations
Closing Date: 24/10/17
As a Petition Adviser at HS2 you will be part of our Hybrid Bill team that will ensure HS2 achieves Royal Assent for the Phase 2a section (Birmingham to Crewe) of the proposed route. In this role you will be responsible for delivering engagement activities, negotiation and resolution of petitions against the bill; these could be from individuals, impacted communities, parish councils, local action groups and small businesses.
This role will require travel to Birmingham and regional travel in the Phase 2a area.
About the role:
- Develop, manage and lead an agreed petition minimisation and management strategy so as to reduce the number of petitions and/or the issues raised in Select Committee
- Identify key issues, costs and risks arising from petitions, and ensure commitments made by the project in response to petition issues are approved and tracked
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with petitioners
- Lead on effective negotiation strategies with petitioners
- Draft and obtain Parliamentary Agent approval of undertakings, assurances, and agreements that mitigate petitioner concerns
- Prepare Petition Response Documents and materials for Select Committee, exhibits and Q&As and manage the evidence base used in Select Committee
- Prepare and present reports and briefs for senior management, Ministers and Parliamentary Agents, ensuring that complex technical information is captured in a way that it is easy to understand
- Support the Senior Petition Manager required with the most complex and high risk petitions.
- You should have experience of running engagement activities with a wide variety of stakeholder groups
- An ability to effectively engage and influence within HS2 and external stakeholders
- Ability to analyse information, quickly develop an understanding of complex issues and present complex information in a manner that is easy for non-technical stakeholders to understand
- Ability to effectively present a wide range of complex petition issues to both internal and external audiences
- Able to handle and manage high volume of work to very high pressured deadlines
- Able to negotiate effectively in difficult situations demonstrating credible, resilient and focused engagement with a wide range of people
- Strong written skills, e.g., compiling agreements, reports, briefings and materials for use in Select Committee
- Demonstrable stakeholder management experience, having dealt with objections to major infrastructure projects or significant development projects
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.